An oldie but a goodie. Time to start practicing with Jewish holidays around the corner! As Gloria says... times flies so fast... it’s Passover then Rosh Hashana and Passover again. Or something like that.
Here's what you need:
- 6 brown baking potatoes
- 1 egg
- Matzah meal
- Vegetable oil
Here's how to make it:
- Peel and boil potatoes until soft enough for a fork to break the potato easily
- Rinse off the potatoes and leave 1/4 cup of potato water in the pot
- Put the semi dry potatoes into a large bowl, add 1 egg and a teaspoon of salt
- Mix and then let the mixture cool
- Once cool, make small round, flat balls and roll in your matzah meal
- In a medium pan heat 1/2 inch of vegetable oil
- Add latkes into the hot oil and fry on both sides
- Put into the oven at 350 to keep warm
- Add salt before serving and don't forget to have apple sauce ready!
Sometimes your latkes will fall apart because they don't like the pan. Either it's not hot enough or it's too hot. This dish certainly takes practise but it's always worth it! Happy cooking and please tag me in photos if you make this recipe!