My sweet tooth is at it again guys. I just made this INCREDIBLE apple pie the other day and absolutely had to share it with you. Warning: it's hard to only eat one slice!
Here's what you need:
- 2 tbsp unmelted butter
- 2 1/2 pounds apples, peeled and cored, cut into wedges (5 large honey crisps are what I used)
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flower
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 recipe all purpose pie dough
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Here's how to make it:
- Melt butter in a large sauce pan set over medium-high heat and add apples. Stir to coat fruit in butter and cook, stirring occasionally.
- While that's cooking, whisk together the spices, salt, and 3/4 cup sugar, and sprinkle over sauce pan. Stir until combined.
- Lower heat and cook until apples have begun to soften, approx. 5-6 min. Sprinkle flower and cornstarch over apples and continue to cook, stirring occasionally for another 3-5 min.
- Remove pan from heat, add cider vinegar, and stir. Scrape fruit mixture into a bowl and cool completely (mixture will cool faster if you spread it out on a rimmed baking sheet).
- Place a large baking sheet on the middle rack of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees. Remove one disc of dough from refrigerator and roll out onto a lightly floured surface until it is about 12 inches in diameter.
- Fit crust into a 9-in. pie plate. Place dough in freezer.
- Roll out remaining dough on a lightly floured surface until it is about 10-11 inches in diameter. Cut into strips as shown in the photo.
- Remove pie crust from freezer and put cooled pie filling into it. Take the remaining dough strips and place them criss-cross on top of the filling as seen in the photo. Press edges together.
- Lightly brush the top of the pie with egg wash and sprinkle with remaining tbsp of sugar.
- Place pie in oven and bake on hot baking sheet for 20 min., then reduce temperature to 375 degrees. Continue to bake until interior is bubbling and crust is golden brown, about 30-40 min. more. Remove and cool for about two hours.
Wait until you try that. I am so serious! This pie is so delicious, I was so happy with how it came out. If you guys remake this amazing apple pie, be sure to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @mrsjillzarin! As always, all my socials are linked at the top. I love you guys, and don't worry, I'll keep the recipes coming!